What are the common spinal conditions?
Common spinal problems may include,
1. Facet joint osteoarthritis, also known as degenerative arthritis can result in the breakdown of cartilage between the facet joints. As the joints start moving, the loss of cartilage creates immense friction leading to pain and limited movement.
2. Spinal stenosis is a specific type of spinal condition, wherein, the spinal canal or neural passageways starts laying pressure on nerves in a spinal cord caused due to ageing and wear and tear on the spine.
3. Degenerative disc disease is a slow process that lay a severe impact on the structural integrity of discs. Such disc alterations cause compression in vertebral structures leading to decreased nerve space to exit the spinal column. The compressed nerves may result in a swelling and unmanageable pain.
4. Spondylolisthesis is a condition of the spine where one vertebra slips over another leading to misalignment and instability. Spondylolisthesis can either be present at birth and develop over time or may result from vigorous physical activity.
5. A herniated disc is a condition of the spine that results from the abnormal rupture of the central portion of the disc. This may lead to a bulging disc that can lay tremendous pressure on the spinal nerve causing unbearable pain. Sciatica is a common symptom of a herniated disc that may cause pain that traverses downward along the sciatic nerve.
6. Osteoporosis is a problem caused by loss of minerals in the bone which in turn makes the bones fragile. This may either result in vertebral compression fractures or a humped back.
Apart from the spinal conditions as mentioned above, there are other reasons that may cause spinal issues such as pregnancy, infection, tumors or injury.
What are the types of spinal treatments available in India?
Top-notch spine specialists in India combine extensive experience with advanced diagnostic imaging tools and well-equipped hospital facilities to develop the best spine treatment program for each patient. Depending on the extent of the impairment, doctors can either use non-surgical or surgical approach; non-surgical procedures can manage the spinal problems in some cases, while a majority of other cases benefit from orthopedic spine surgery. Spine surgeons in India have expertise in performing minimally-invasive spine procedures that allow fast recovery and rehabilitation.
What types of spinal surgery is performed in India?
Spine surgery is a sure-sort solution for various spinal problems that may include,
1. Spine fusion is a type of surgery that can eliminate motion between adjacent vertebrae. Conditions such as spondylolisthesis (unstable spine) can be treated by performing a spinal fusion. Also, it may be done as the extent of other surgery including laminectomy.
2. Discectomy is a procedure to eliminate a portion of the disc that is present between each vertebra. Discectomy can treat conditions like herniated disc.
3. Foraminotomy is a surgical procedure wherein a portion of bone is removed to relieve excess pressure on a nerve.
4. Spinal Disc Replacement is a surgery that involves replacement of the impaired disc with an artificial one. When the traditional set of treatments fail to respond, this treatment method is used as a last resort for treating disc degenerative disease.
5. Anterior Cervical Corpectomy Spine Surgery is a procedure that involves removal of the vertebral body along with disc spaces at either end to decompress the cervical canal completely. This technique can treat multi-level cervical stenosis coupled with spinal cord compression that can result from abnormal growth of the bone spur.
6. Cervical Spine Surgery is used to treat a wide range of cervical spine issues including, degenerative disorders, trauma and instability. The main objective of the cervical spine surgery is to alleviate the debilitating pain. numbness, tingling sensation, weakness and restore nerve function.
7. Lumbar Laminectomy is a surgical method used to treat leg pain caused due to herniated discs, spinal stenosis etc. Following the completion of this procedure, additional pressure on the spinal cord is reduced by eliminating or trimming the lamina of the vertebrae.
8. Endoscopic spine surgery is a minimally-invasive spine surgery procedure that can be performed using a small tubular system or micro incisions and endoscope. Fast recovery time and less pain are one of the few advantages of this procedure.
9. Vertebroplasty is a procedure that involves the use of a particular type of synthetic cement material straight inside the damaged or broken spine bone. This procedure promises excellent results in pain relief with diminished risk of complications. Vertebroplasty is performed to handle osteoporotic fractures, agonizing spine bones following cancer, and weak spine bone, to name a few.
Who performs a spine surgery?
An orthopedic spine surgeon holding a specialization in the field of diagnosis and treatment of various types of spinal disorders carries out spine surgery. Spine surgeons working at Indian medical facilities have an extensive experience and skill set to treat patients surgically with precision.
What are the qualifications?
Spine surgeons in India have received education from Internationally acclaimed universities (MS in orthopedic or Neurosurgery, MCH in spine surgery, FRCS/MRCS from International colleges and hospitals) and hold immense clinical experience to perform various types of spinal surgeries in an unambiguous manner. Also, the spine surgeons delivering services at Indian medical facilities have earned accolades for their research work on a global front.
Why choose Indian hospitals for a spine surgery?
Indian hospitals have outperformed its International counterparts when it comes to offering myriad stand-out spinal surgical procedures today. With an affluent medical infrastructure, availability of top of heap spine surgeons and advanced pieces of equipment, top-class treatment centers in India, and simplified immigration policies, India has emerged as a kernel for international patients seeking for spine treatments at affordable costs.
Spinal surgeons active in premier medical facilities in India are extraordinarily competent in performing spinal surgeries regardless of the case' s complexity. Further, these units have zero patient-wait list that increases the success rate of the surgery by leaps and bounds.
How much do a spine surgery cost in India?
Low cost of surgery is one of the main reasons why patients from all over the world choose to fly to India to seek spinal treatments. The cost of spinal treatment is prominently low when compared to nations such as the US, and the UK. For example, the cost of discectomy in the US starts at $ 30,000, whereas the cost of the same procedure in India ranges from $3000 to $4000.
Let Medmonks help you:
Working in close liaison with premier spine surgery hospitals in India, Medmonks, a prominent name in the world of medical travel, helps patients from all over the world to gain access to adept spine surgeons without delay. Our medical professionals are well trained in the procedures themselves and assist patients to engage in a conversation with the best in the field at moderate prices.