What is Hip replacement surgery?
Hip replacement involves a procedure of replacement of an impaired hip joint with a prosthetic implant in an effort to eliminate severe hip pain that can result from a variety of conditions including, osteoarthritis, fracture, rheumatoid arthritis, and aseptic bone necrosis. This procedure is regarded as an option for patients who fail to respond to alternative treatments such as medication, injections and rehabilitation.
When does the need for hip replacement surgery arise?
Hip replacement procedure plays a cardinal role in treating patients suffering from arthritis in the hip joint. Also, problems such as chronic joint pain, limited movement and more can be treated with the help of hip replacement surgery provided the patient does not suffer from following mentioned conditions:
• Abnormal high blood pressure,
• heart disorders
• Poor overall health,
• Urinary Infection,
• Suspected Infection from the implant material etc.
How is the patient in need of a possible hip replacement surgery diagnosed?
The doctor asks the patient to undergo a series of diagnostic procedures that may include,
- Arthrogram: It is a specific type of X-ray that involves the injection of a contrast dye into the hip to allow the sketching of the patient's cavity adjoining the joint.
- Aspiration: In the diagnostic procedure, a minute amount of fluid from the damaged hip joint is removed to rule out systemic arthritis or infection in the hip in case there is a reason to believe that some other kind of condition is contributing to the degenerative process.
- Magnetic resonance Imaging: This procedure uses radio waves to diagnose avascular necrosis.
- Bone Densitometry test: Using this procedure, the density or strength of patient's bones is measured. People at risk of osteoporosis or disorders that lay a severe impact on the bone density is suggested a bone densitometry test.
- Computed Tomography Scan: This procedure is used to generate three-dimensional images of the hip joint that helps the operating surgeon to have a closer look at the abnormality in the hip joint if any.
What types of hip replacement surgery is performed in India?
Patients with hip joint problems are treated by performing a wide range of hip replacement surgeries such as Total Hip Replacement, Partial Hip Replacement, Hip Resurfacing, Minimally Invasive Hip Replacement, Double Hip Replacement and Revision Hip Replacement.
- Total hip replacement surgery: It is a surgical procedure that involves the removal and replacement of the impaired cartilage and bone of the hip joint with artificial materials, preferably made of metal or plastic, to mitigate pain debilitation that may result from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fractures, dislocations, congenital deformities, and other hip related problems.
- Partial hip replacement surgery: In this procedure, the hip socket of the patient is typically left intact. In fact, the head of the femur bone is replaced with an artificial material. Prior to resorting to this procedure, the doctor can use other alternative methods like pain-alleviating medication, injecting anti-inflammatory agents and steroids, physical therapy and strength training, installing hip braces etc. for treatment.
- Hip resurfacing surgery: A type of arthroplasty, hip resurfacing procedure is employed as an intervention alternative to total hip replacement procedure on younger patients who are not morbidly obese. It is specifically designed to reline the worn-out hip joint rather replacing it.
- Minimally invasive hip replacement surgery: In this type of surgical procedure, one long incision is made by the surgeon (two 2-inch incisions or one 3.5-1/2-inch) to eliminate the impaired bone by inserting parts of the new prosthesis.
- Double hip replacement surgery: In this procedure, the respective two malfunctioned and worn parts of the hip joint including, hip socket and the femoral head is removed and replaced with smooth, high-performance artificial implants called prostheses. Typically, this procedure is executed on patients with a degenerative joint disease like Osteoarthritis.
- Revision hip replacement surgery: In this procedure, the weary hip replacement joint is replaced with a new one. Used as a revision procedure, this surgery is performed primarily due to pain.
How much a hip replacement surgery cost in India?
Indian hospitals that specialize in hip replacement surgery not only exhibits supreme quality, the expenses incurred is within one's reach too. Consequently, people from all over the world prefer coming to India to get hip replacement treatment done.
The cost of various types of hip replacement procedure may vary depending on nature, extent, the hospital where the treatment is being done, the operating surgeon's expertise etc., as mentioned below,
Total Hip Replacement Surgery- USD 5200
Partial Hip Replacement Surgery-USD 3800
Hip Resurfacing Surgery-USD 6500
Minimal Invasive Hip Replacement Surgery-USD 6,200
Revision Hip Replacement Surgery-USD 7,000
By comparing the costs of the similar procedure in countries like US and UK, you can find a substantial difference; the cost of hip replacement surgery in these countries is almost seven times than that in India.
People looking for best hip replacement surgeons in India can post a query @ medmonks.com or submit their query on [email protected] or contact MedMonk's professionals through Whatsapp- +91 7683088559