Unexplained infertility is one of most frustrating diagnosis to receive that reduces the couple's chances of conceiving a child, without underlying the cause of their infertility. Unexplained infertility is found in both men and women.
Unexplained Infertility is a condition, in which the cause or the reason behind the patient’s infertility remains unknown despite analysing all their reports, preventing them from getting pregnant.
Unexplained infertility can be caused due to multiple factors, that might or might include reproductive organs disorder. Some studies have even found the lifestyle of an individual plays an important role in maintaining the health of their eggs or sperm.
What causes Infertility?
While the causes of unexplained infertility remain unknown, doctors are able to determine the causes of infertility in general:
• Poor Sperm Quality – Smoke, drug, and alcohol can degrade the quality of the sperms that decrease the chances of a patient to get pregnant
• Delayed Ejaculation
• Erectile Dysfunction
• Prostate Cancer
• Exposure of Prostate to any radiation
• Age – The quality of female egg reduces with age making it harder for it to fertilize.
• Family History
• Recurring Miscarriages
• Irregular Mensuration
• The interaction between the sperm and the vagina – In some cases, the sperm is unable to reach the vagina due to the blockage between the uterus and the egg.
A patient with unexplained infertility won’t be affected by any of the conditions mentioned above, rather all his/her reports will turn out to be completely normal indicating no sign of infertility, but despite that he/she won’t be able to conceive.
Annoying Facts regarding Unexplained Infertility
- It is an idiopathic condition in which the couple is unable to conceive or procreate, despite participating in regular intercourse.
- Despite having a completely healthy report, the patients will still be unable to conceive.
- As the name suggests, in this condition the reason or the cause of infertility remains a mystery, disabling the patient from getting an accurate treatment for curing the problem.
- While fertile couples have a 20% chance of getting pregnant. Patients who have unexplained infertility have a likelihood of one to four percent of getting pregnant without treatment.
- On an average 20 to 30 percent of patients who have infertility are diagnosed with unexplained infertility.
- In some cases, IVF is the only option for patients with unexplained infertility to get pregnant.
- 60% of women who are diagnosed with unexplained infertility usually have celiac disease.
Unexplained Infertility IVF Success Rates
60 to 70 percent of couples with unexplained infertility were able to get pregnant using an IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) treatment.
IVF is an artificial fertilization procedures used by infertile couples, where the sperm and egg are extracted from the couple’s body and are introduced outside the body into a glass tube. The egg and sperm are monitored for 48 hours, and is inserted into the female uterus using a tube when it gets fertilized.
IVF treatment works for most of the couple in the first two attempts, but the patient can try multiple times if it doesn’t work on the first attempt. IVF is also used as a primary treatment for helping women above the age of 40 to get pregnant.
Image Source: centerforhumanreprod.com
Cost of IVF Treatment in India
The cost of IVF treatment is way more feasible compared to other countries in the world, which ranges starting from USD 3,000 per cycle.
Can unexplained infertility be cured?
Advancement in technology can help the couple with unexplained infertility in conceiving by using in-vitro fertilization treatment in which the egg and sperm are fertilized outside the patient body, to increase the chances of pregnancy.
Is IVF painful?
IVF is a procedure in which the eggs and sperms are extracted from the patient’s body and fertilized outside the body. The extraction of the sperm in the producer remains non-surgical, which obtained by the patient through masturbation, while the female egg is retrieved using transvaginal ultrasound aspiration. The egg is retrieved using an ultrasound probe into the vagina that identifies the follicles and egg. So, the procedure can be slightly painful for the females.
Explore Medmonks.com to learn more about unexplained infertility diagnosis and its treatment options in India.