Medical tourism - Laser Eye Surgery
A growing number of people are turning to Indian medical tourism for their healthcare needs today. With skyrocketing treatment costs, endless waiting lists, lack of advanced medical care etc., travelling to India to receive premium-grade quality medical treatments is becoming a worthy option for many.
India is becoming the premium choice for medical travellers, especially those who need to undergo a corrective laser eye surgery. Home to best-in-class facilities that match the International Standards, highly qualified surgeons, doctors and other health professionals, India has earned its place as one of the most sought-after medical destinations in the world. Let us see what kind of eye surgical procedures can be performed in India.
Types of corrective eye surgery in India
1. Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) is a vision correction procedure wherein, the cornea of the patient is reshaped permanently. This procedure is used to correct a variety of eye problems such as nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. In the course of the procedure, a surgical incision is made on the cornea that creates a flap. this flap can be folded out of the way that helps the surgeon to use an excimer laser for making the correction. Also, this flap on the cornea allows faster healing as once the surgery finishes the flap is replaced and allowed to reattach to the cornea. This entire procedure takes around 15 minutes to complete. A majority of patients can experience improved vision within a period of 24 hours.
2. Laser Epithelial Keratomileusis (LASEK) is quite similar to the procedure mentioned above, except that the flap created in epithelium and not in the cornea.
3. Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK) is used to treat people with mild to moderate farsightedness, and astigmatism. In this procedure, the operating surgeon uses the laser to remove tiny tissue on the surface of the cornea to correct many eye problems including blurry vision.
4. Conductive Keratoplasty (CK) employs a probe as thin as a human hair strand and radio frequency energy to reshape the cornea by shrinking small regions of the tissue.
Benefits of corrective laser eye surgery
Corrective laser eye surgery can offer many benefits including,
1. The patients who have undergone one of the above-mentioned correction Laser procedure can savor the benefits of clear vision; they can read and write within a week's time without difficulty.
2. All types of discomfort caused by contact lenses and glasses like dust, slipping and fogging can be eliminated post a correction LAser eye surgery.
3. The personal safety of the people post a surgery increases to a great extent. Along with this, they can easily participate in fitness and water-based activities with full freedom.
Similar to other surgical procedures, corrective laser eye surgery can involve many risks that may include:
- Dry eyes, discomfort in the eye
- Irregular astigmatism
- Temporary discomfort and vision disturbances
- Flap complications
- Epithelial Ingrowth
- Overcorrected or under-corrected vision
- Diffuse lamellar keratitis (DLK)
- Keratectasia or keratoconus
- Corneal haze or glaring
- Scarring or infection in the eye
Now, that you are aware of the various correction Laser eye procedures, its benefits and associated risks, finding a qualified eye surgeon who specializes in performing laser eye surgery with utmost precision should be your next course of action.
Let us see how can you find such surgeons conveniently.
How to get in touch with India's best eye surgeons?
With medical tourism on the rise in India, there are a host of medical travel companies that offer a host of services at a fraction of the cost. These companies have collaborated with a large number of hospitals and premier medical facilities in India and provide useful information that can prove elementary in your search. They will help you get in touch with the surgeon that meet your needs and requirements in toto. One such established company is MedMonks. Contact experienced professionals working at MedMonks and find the best eye surgeon in India now!