- Today, back pain is one of the most common and pervasive health problems being faced by a large number of people around the world. Bad posture, continuously sitting for long hours, little physical exercise and unhealthy working habits are the common causes of back pain.
- Back pain is often treated with essential medicines or physical therapy, but if such treatments fail to relieve symptoms, surgery might be your last resort to lead a normal, active life.
Causes of Spinal Problems
- Spine-related causes: Severe back pain is the most potent symptom that something’s not right with your spine. There could be many reasons for this such as.
- Herniated disc: This means soft tissue in the discs between your joints has come out causing pain in the lower back
- Degenerative disc disease: When shock absorbers between your spine’s vertebrae tear down causing bones to rub together.
- Spinal stenosis: Narrowing of spinal canal adds pressure on your spine and nerves making legs and shoulders numb.
- Inflammation of sacroiliac joint: Sacroiliac joint comes between spine and pelvis. This joint is quite crucial as it moves the load of the upper part of your body to the lower body. This joint can undergo wear and tear either because of an injury or some infection.
- Spondylolisthesis: In this condition, a bone in the spine slips out of its place.
- Accidents: Accidents, falls, sprains, and fractures are also causes of back pain.
- Spine fractures: This could be either because of an injury or osteoporosis, a medical condition that leads to weakening of your bones.
- Lifestyle causes: Being overweight; not doing exercise; smoking; wearing high heels; or lifting heavy objects can also trigger back pain.
- Diseases: Back pain could be result of medical conditions like arthritis, Osteoarthritis, spondylitis.
- Pregnancy: Too much weight gain during and after pregnancy can also strain your back.
Types of Spine Surgery Treatment
1. Foraminotomy- Foraminotomy involves removing the tissues that compress the nerves in the back. During the surgery process, the spine doctors remove the parts of the bone that constricts the nerves in the spinal column. As the stability of the spine is sometimes affected, a procedure called spinal fusion is also done sometimes.
2. Laminectomy- This is one of the most widely recommended types of surgery for spinal problems caused by spondylolisthesis and stenosis by spine surgeons. The surgery involves removing the parts of the bone, to relieve pressure on the spinal nerves. It can make your spine less stable. If that happens, you’ll probably need a spinal fusion. The spine doctors sometimes do the two procedures together.
3. Spinal disc replacement- This is one of the new spine treatment for back pain. Spine doctors remove the damaged spinal disk and insert an artificial one between your vertebrae. Unlike fusion, this lets you continue to move your spine. However, there is a small probability that the new disk could move out of place and need repair.
4. Spine fusion- This spine treatment involves joining two vertebrae together to increase the spine stability. In this surgical procedure a bone graft is used to end the movement at a particular painful vertebral joint, which in turn should reduce the pain from the segment. The goal of spine doctors by implementing spine fusion is to stop the pain at a painful motion segment in the lower back.
5. Discectomy- Discectomy is a type of spine surgery that treats the herniated disc in the vertebrae. In a discectomy, the spine surgeons remove all or part of the disk. He may have to make a cut in your back, or he may be able to do it through a small one. In some cases, discectomy is one of the procedures in a larger surgery that includes spinal fusion, laminectomy, and foraminotomy.
6. Laminotomy: In this procedure, spine surgeons remove a part of the vertebral arch that covers the spinal cord. This surgery removes less bone than a laminectomy.Get a free Quote
South Sudan Patient with Spine Disorder Treated in....
Patient: Mrs Nahla Abdelatti Abdelfarag Country: South Sudan Disease: Spine Disorder Doctor: Dr Puneet Girdhar Mr Mohammed and his wife ca....Read More
5 Year old Degenerative Disc Disease Treated in 5 ....
Patient: Michele Justina Mecoy Country: United States of America Disease: Degenerative Disc Disease in her upper and lower spine Doctor: Dr P....Read More
15-Year-Old Back Pain Treated with Minimally Invas....
Patient: Aisha Al Riyami Age: 45 Country: Oman Problem: Low Back Pain Doctor: Dr Mazda K Turel Hospital: Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai ....Read More