Kenyan Sportswoman Has a Real Chance at Peaceful Life after Spine Surgery
From being the most active sportsperson to contrac
Spine Surgery in India
Today, back pain is one of the most common and pervasive health problems being faced by a large number of people around the world. Bad posture, continuously sitting for long hours, little physical exercise and unhealthy working habits are the common causes of back pain. Back pain is often treated with essential medicines or physical therapy, but if such treatments fail to relieve symptoms, surgery might be your last resort to lead a normal, active life.
Causes of spinal problems
- Spine-related causes: Severe back pain is the most potent symptom that something’s not right with your spine. There could be many reasons for this such as:
- Herniated disc: This means soft tissue in the discs between your joints has come out causing pain in the lower back
- Degenerative disc disease: When shock absorbers between your spine’s vertebrae tear down causing bones to rub together.
- Spinal stenosis: Narrowing of spinal canal adds pressure on your spine and nerves making legs and shoulders numb.
- Inflammation of sacroiliac joint: Sacroiliac joint comes between spine and pelvis. This joint is quite crucial as it moves the load of the upper part of your body to the lower body. This joint can undergo wear and tear either because of an injury or some infection.
- Spondylolisthesis: In this condition, a bone in the spine slips out of its place.
- Accidents: Accidents, falls, sprains, and fractures are also causes of back pain.
- Spine fractures: This could be either because of an injury or osteoporosis, a medical condition that leads to weakening of your bones.
- Lifestyle causes: Being overweight; not doing exercise; smoking; wearing high heels; or lifting heavy objects can also trigger back pain
- Diseases: Back pain could be result of medical conditions like arthritis, Osteoarthritis, spondylitis.
- Pregnancy: Too much weight gain during and after pregnancy can also strain your back
Spine surgeons in India recommend surgery for spinal disorders only after several weeks of all other treatment, which fail to cure patient’s back problem permanently. There are different kinds of spinal surgeries that the spine surgeons in India recommend based on the severity of your problem and a thorough assessment of your health condition.
Spine Surgery Treatment in India
1. Foraminotomy- Foraminotomy involves removing the tissues that compress the nerves in the back. During the surgery process, the spine doctors remove the parts of the bone that constricts the nerves in the spinal column. As the stability of the spine is sometimes affected, a procedure called spinal fusion is also done sometimes.
2. Laminectomy- This is one of the most widely recommended types of surgery for spinal problems caused by spondylolisthesis and stenosis by spine surgeons. The surgery involves removing the parts of the bone, to relieve pressure on the spinal nerves. It can make your spine less stable. If that happens, you’ll probably need a spinal fusion. The spine doctors sometimes do the two procedures together.
3. Spinal disc replacement- This is one of the new spine treatment in India for back pain. Spine doctors in India remove the damaged spinal disk and insert an artificial one between your vertebrae. Unlike fusion, this lets you continue to move your spine. However, there is a small probability that the new disk could move out of place and need repair.
4. Spine fusion- This spine treatment in India involves joining two vertebrae together to increase the spine stability. In this surgical procedure a bone graft is used to end the movement at a particular painful vertebral joint, which in turn should reduce the pain from the segment. The goal of spine doctors in India by implementing spine fusion is to stop the pain at a painful motion segment in the lower back.
5. Discectomy- Discectomy is a type of spine surgery that treats the herniated disc in the vertebrae. In a discectomy, the spine surgeons in India remove all or part of the disk. He may have to make a cut in your back, or he may be able to do it through a small one. In some cases, discectomy is one of the procedures in a larger surgery that includes spinal fusion, laminectomy, and foraminotomy.
6. Laminotomy: In this procedure, spine surgeons remove a part of the vertebral arch that covers the spinal cord. This surgery removes less bone than a laminectomy.
Spine doctors in India adopt different surgical approaches to access the spine during surgery. These are:
- Anterior approach: If the surgeon follows anterior approach to access the spine, it means he approaches the spine from the front through the abdomen.
- Posterior approach: As the name says, the path to the spine is through an incision made in your back.
- Lateral approach: The way to the spine is through the side of your body.
The benefits of minimally invasive spine surgery are:
- Less chances of complications- Traditional spine treatment involves making a long incision to access the affected area of the spine, which results in a higher risk of complications. Minimally invasive procedures used by spine surgeons only make a few tiny incisions, which leads to a lower risk of excessive bleeding, infections at the surgical site, and other complications.
- Less pain- Traditional spine treatment in India can cause a considerable amount of discomfort afterwards due to the larger incision that needs to be made. Minimally invasive spinal procedures result in less pain and discomfort after surgery, which can lead to shorter hospital stays. Experiencing less pain can also reduce the amount of painkillers that are needed after surgery.
- Lower risk of muscle damage- Open surgery involves pulling muscles in the affected area aside while the procedure is done. This can result in muscle and soft tissue damage and a greater amount of pain after surgery. Minimally invasive procedures do not require muscles to be pulled aside to the same degree, leading to a lower risk of damage to the soft tissue around the surgical site.
- Faster recovery time- Minimally invasive techniques usually have shorter recovery times due to the use of small incisions that do not affect the surrounding muscles and soft tissue as much.
Best Spine Surgeons in India
Spine issues can be problematic and may affect the quality of life in many ways. So it is necessary to treat back pain in the early stages consulting experienced and highly qualified spine specialist in India who can provide best outcomes. Some of the best spine Surgeons in India are listed below-
Dr. Manoj Sharma, Fortis Hospital, New Delhi- a pioneer in laser and endoscopic spine surgery in India
Dr. Vikas Gupta, BLK Super Speciality Hospital, New Delhi
Dr. Harish Chandra Pathak, Max Smart Super Speciality Hospital, Saket
Dr. Anil Kumar Kansal, BLK Super Speciality Hospital, New Delhi
Dr. Arun Saroha, Max Super Speciality Hospital, Saket
The best spine surgeons are highly qualified and have many years of experience in performing the spine surgery. They are recognised nationally and internationally for their surgical technical excellence and innovative abilities to perform both simple and challenging operations.
With state of the art technology and latest equipment used for treatment, the best spine doctors in India can treat the most complex spine conditions and assure positive outcomes at minimum cost.
Best Spine Surgery Hospitals in India
The spine surgery hospitals in India boasts of best-in-class medical treatments as well as surgeries meant to treat you effectively. The best hospitals for spine treatment in India combine personalized cancer treatment with leading-edge research and technology to provide you with unparalleled medical care.
In the capital city of India, there are many such hospitals that have treated complex spinal conditions successfully. This is the main reason why majority of international patients travel to Delhi for spine surgery treatment. The list of some of the finest spine hospitals in India are:
Max Smart Super Speciality Hospital, Saket
Max Super Speciality Hospital, Gurgaon
IBS Hospital, Delhi
Primus Hospital, Delhi
Moolchand Medcity Hospital, Delhi
BLK Super Speciality Hospital, Delhi
Sri Ramachandra Medical Center, Chennai
These hospitals provide comprehensive, exceptional spinal care to every patient. From accurate diagnosis to development of a personalised treatment plan and thorough post-operative follow-up, best spine doctors in India and surgeons work hard to ensure you have the best possible outcome. And all this is done at a very affordable cost.
Each year, patients from the UK, US, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, East Africa, Middle East, and Nepal come for spine surgery in India. All the major spinal surgery procedures in India are pre-planned to meet the demands and convenience of patients coming from abroad. India offers e-visa facilities to countries like United States, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Oman, UAE, middle east countries, East Asian countries, African countries and others so that they can travel quickly to India to undergo spinal treatment.
Cost of Spine Treatment in India
Spinal surgery is concerned with the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of disorders which affect the spinal cord of the body. Spine surgery cost depends on the kind and the type of surgery and it is advisable to first consult a surgeon. The success rate in a spine surgery is north of 80 percent. Typically, a spine surgery takes upto 2-4 hours to successfully complete.
Spine treatment in India is an advanced treatment option for neck or back pains performed by spine doctors in India causing disability due to identifiable lesions in a patient’s spinal column. Almost 80 percent of the people across the globe witness back pain sometime or the other during their lifetime. Although back surgery is a difficult choice, there may not be an alternative option especially in cases where conditions have not adequately improved with nonsurgical treatments. The cost of the spine surgery varies depending on the type of surgery being performed. Some of the popular spine surgeries and their cost are listed below-
The cost of cervical spine surgery in India is $4,500 while in the US it is $58,000
The cost of spinal fusion surgery in India is $6,500 while in the US it is $77000
The cost of disc replacement surgery in India Starting from $6500 while in the US it is $55000
The cost of the surgical treatment for a slip disc may vary according to the type of surgery being performed by the spine doctors in India and the hospital where it is being performed. The average cost of slip disc surgery in India is as follows-
Microdiscectomy costs US$4000 onwards
Laminoplasty costs US$3000 onwards
Laminectomy costs US$4000 onwards
The cost covers the expense of the procedure, surgeon’s fees, standard single room admission, medicines administered during the hospital stay, and standard tests and diagnosis before the procedure.
Finding the right doctor and hospital is extremely important. MedMonks has a growing network of finest hospitals in the country that provides quality and affordable treatment to the locals as well as patients arriving from abroad. MedMonks ensures patients get treated in reputed spine hospitals by the best spine doctors in India based in the city of their choice.
Additionally, MedMonks also helps in some non-medical aspects-
a. Getting proper accommodation and transportation
c. Free pickup and drop facility to the airport
d. Foreign currency exchange facility
e. Language translators for better communication with the doctors and hospital staff.
By choosing MedMonks to plan your medical travel, you can just focus on travelling to India for your medical treatment and leave the rest of the things on us. We have a dedicated team guiding you 24*7 and helping you plan your medical journey to the last detail.
We offer our customers the best available treatment for their medical needs without any false promises or jargons. We at MedMonks vouch for your safety, security and successful completion of your treatment.
top Spine Surgeons in India
Dr Sandeep Vaishya
The Executive Director of the Neurosurgery department at Fortis Hospital, Dr Sandeep Vaishya has more than 19 years of rich professional experience in his field. In additView Details