Prostate Cancer Treatment, India
The prostate is a walnut-sized gland found only in men, located below the bladder and in front of the rectum. The prostate's main function is to make seminal fluid that guards, supports, and helps carrying sperm.
Prostate cancer occurs when prostate gland cells begin to grow uncontrollably. This cancer usually grows gradually, often showing no symptoms until it reaches an advanced stage. In most cases, Prostate cancer starts in the outer gland cells of the prostate and are called acinar adenocarcinomas.
Prostate cancer is unlike many other types of cancer as many prostate tumors do not spread to other parts of the body. It affects mainly older men. However, it may be found in men even in their 30's and 40's.
There are various factors that may increase a man’s risk of developing prostate cancer:
- Age: Prostate cancer is usually found in older men, especially after age 50. Nearly 80 percent of prostate cancers are identified in men who are 65 or older.
- Race/ethnicity: Researches have found that Black men are at increased risk of developing prostate cancer than white men. Though the precise reasons for these differences are still unknown, it may involve socioeconomic or dietary factors.
- Diet: Men who take fat rich diet, particularly from red meat and other sources of animal fat cooked at high heat could be more likely to develop advanced prostate cancer. The cancer is more common in countries where meat and dairy products are dietary staples.
- Family history: Prostate cancer that runs in the genes occurs about 20 percent of the time.
Thanks to latest technology and advanced medical care, India is the most preferred medical destination for Prostate cancer treatment and surgery. The Cancer Hospitals in India are well equipped with experienced team of doctors, nurses and other specially trained professionals who constantly work towards improving the quality of life for people with cancer and their families.
Like any other cancer, the Prostate cancer treatment, India also depends on the cancer stage. There are other factors too that determine your treatment options such as patient’s age, health status, and lifestyle habits. The doctors also look at how serious is the cancer including size and spread and the possible side effects of the treatment.
- Surgery- Surgery is the most common option for Prostate cancer treatment, India if the patient is healthy and cancer hasn't spread much. There are several types of surgery. The surgeon may only remove the prostate gland or he might remove it along with the tissue around it.
- Radiation therapy- In this treatment, doctor uses high-energy beams to kill the cancerous cells. It's usually performed for older men. Doctors may also combine it with the surgery to get rid of any cancer cells left behind post the operation. It is also useful in cancer that has spread to the bone.
- Hormone therapy- As Prostate cancer cells require male sex hormones, like testosterone, to grow, this Prostate cancer treatment, India keeps the cancer cells from getting those hormones thus inhibiting the growth of cancer.
- Cryotherapy- If prostate cancer is in early stages, doctor might attempt to destroy cancer cells by freezing them.
- Chemotherapy- Chemotherapy refers to treatment that uses drugs to kill cells or to stop them from dividing. These drugs are given in cycles, administering a treatment for a period of time followed by a rest to allow your body time to recover. This treatment may be used to treat advanced Prostate cancer or when the cancer has spread to other parts of the body.
- Cancer vaccine- This Prostate cancer treatment, India works best if you’ve had hormone therapy and it isn't working anymore. It works by boosting your body's immune system so that it attacks and kills cancer cells. The vaccine is custom-made for you. Scientists don’t know if it stops or slows down the cancer’s growth, but it does seem to help men live longer with prostate cancer.
Despite the use of latest technology and advanced facilities, the cost of Prostate cancer treatment, India is amongst the lowest in the world and the success rates of cancer treatment are amongst the highest in the world. To make things easier, it is now possible to obtain a medical visa specifically aimed at people wanting to visit the country to access their healthcare.
The best hospitals for Prostate cancer treatment in India includes names like Max Healthcare, Manipal Hospitals, Fortis Healthcare, BLK, Nanavati Hospital, Wockhardt, Columbia Asia etc.
top Cancer Specialist in India
Dr Tapaswini Pradhan
Dr Tapaswini Pradhan is a Senior Consultant in Surgical Oncology. Her medical qualifications include MBBS, MS (ENT), and DNB degree. Additionally, she also possesses fellView Details
Dr Ashish Goel
Dr. Ashish Goel is currently associated with BLK Super Specialty Hospital as a Senior Consultant of the Surgical Oncology department.
He has an experience of over 9 years in this field andView Details
Dr Kapil Kumar
Dr Kapil Kumar is currently associated with BLK Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi as Head of Department and Director of Surgical Oncology department.
He has a rich experience of over 25 yView Details
Dr Rajeev Agarwal
Dr. Rajeev Agarwal is currently associated with Medanta-The Medicity, Gurugram, India as a Director in the Surgical Oncology department.
He has completed his MBBS as well as MS from GSVM MeView Details