Breast Cancer Treatment in India
When the cells in the tissue start forming a lump in the breast and have the tendency to spread, it is breast cancer. If the tumor spreads or grows in size, it is malignant/cancerous tumor. Some of the early symptoms of the disease include bloody discharge from the nipple, breast pain, sore nipple, inverted nipple, orange peel like texture of the breast skin, swollen lymph nodes in the neck or armpit and a significant change in breast size as well as nipple.
Breast cancer is the second most common cancer in the US women after skin cancer. Thanks to the medical and technological advancement, diseases like cancer can be treated successfully today. India has some of the best hospital for breast cancer treatment with all the world class equipment and quality standards. Research has shown that people from developed countries, these days, choose India for the cancer treatment.
Common types of breast cancer
1. Ductal carcinoma in situ: This is a type of tumor that begins inside a milk duct in breast. This is non-invasive type of tumor which has not spread outside the duct. It is not dangerous but needs treatment to get cured.
2. Invasive ductal carcinoma: This cancer starts in the duct of the breast and spreads in the surrounding tissue. About 80 percent of the breast cancers are invasive ductal carcinoma. Immediate medical attention is required if the patient is diagnosed with this type.
3. Invasive lobular carcinoma in situ: It begins in milk-producing glands or lobules of breast and is invasive. These cancer cells have the potential to spread to the lymph nodes and others parts of the body. There are no lump formation in the breast, but there are other visible changes like fullness or thickening in one part of the breast as compared to the other tissues. About 10 percent of the invasive breast cancers are of this type.
In any of these cases, the doctors in India first examine the patient extensively and only then depending upon the location and the spread of the cancer, the woman is recommended to the best hospital for breast cancer treatment.
Less common types of breast cancer
1. Angiosarcoma: Angiosarcoma of the breast is a rare type of cancer that makes up only 1 percent of the breast cancers. Angiosarcoma begins in the blood vessels or lymph vessels. It may result in skin changes or a lump formation in the breast. They have a tendency to grow and spread rapidly. Like other sarcoma, this is also treated by the surgery of breast that is mastectomy or removal of breast.
2. Inflammatory: Unlike other breast cancers, Inflammatory breast cancer has different symptoms which include red or purple color of the skin, breast swelling and thickening of the skin. Changes happen due to the blockage of lymph vessels by the cancer cells. This is an aggressive type of cancer which grows and spreads quickly making it difficult to treat successfully.
3. Paget's disease of the nipple: This is a very rare type of cancer which begins in the skin of nipple. This starts in the breast ducts making its way to nipple and then areola around the nipple.
4. Male breast cancer: A painless lump of thickening of breast tissue is observed in male. Though breast cancer in men is rare, it can occur at any age.
Even after several years of research, there has not been a definitive conclusion to what exactly causes breast cancer but here are some of the reasons that are considered as risk factors for breast cancer. Doctors from best hospital for breast cancer say that some of the risk factors can be controlled while others are completely out of human control.
Age: Generally as you grow old, chances of breast cancer increases. Although, recently research has shown breast cancer in young women as well but older women are at high risk.
Inheritance: If any of your close relatives have got a history of breast cancer you are likely to be at high risk to get the same. If your mother, sister or daughter were diagnosed with breast cancer, you might get it too in your genes.
Personal history: Having been diagnosed with cancer in breast increases the chances of having it in the other breast in future.
Menstruation: Early start of menses or periods and early menopause are considered to be a risk for breast cancer. Menses before the age of 12 are said to be an early onset.
DNA: Breast cells turn cancerous because of the mutation of DNA and are mostly inherited while in some cases the changes in breast cells are acquired in during a person’s life.
Bodily changes: Being obese or overweight or having dense breast tissue can be alarming for women to get diagnosed with breast cancer.
Alcohol: Recent researches have shown that alcohol consumption can also lead to breast cancer. Any quantity is a risk says the research.
Diagnosis and staging of breast cancer
Breast cancer can be detected by doing medical screenings like X-ray, sonography, and mammography. Once the doctor has diagnosed breast cancer, he or she will recommend further screenings which will help them decide the prognosis and procedure for treatment. Doctors at the best hospital for breast cancer suggests the tests listed below to understand the stage of the breast cancer and treatment for the same.
- Breast MRI
- Bone Scan
- Computerised tomography (CT) Scan
- Positron emission tomography (PET) scan
- Mammography of the other breast to check for cancer cells
Depending on the results of the tests, your doctor will recommend the best hospital for breast cancer treatment in India.
Treatment for breast cancer varies from stage to stage. Cost of breast cancer treatment also depends upon the stage of cancer and procedure required. There are various types of breast cancers but most common ones are ductal carcinoma in situ, invasive ductal carcinoma, and invasive lobular carcinoma. Local treatment includes surgery and radiation therapy for breast cancer. You must choose the best hospital for breast cancer treatment so you get the right medical procedures.
1. Breast Surgery
Women diagnosed with breast cancer usually have to undergo a surgery for the removal of the tumor depending upon its spread. There are majorly two types of surgeries performed at the best hospital for breast cancer in India which are as follows:
- Lumpectomy: Removal of breast cancer is lumpectomy. Surgeons remove the tumor as well as some of the healthy tissue in the surrounding to cure the breast.
- Mastectomy: When the cancer has spread in the whole breast or if there are high chances of the cancer cells’ spreading in the tissues of breast, removal of the entire breast is recommended in those cases. Some women may get double mastectomy where, both the breast are removed due to high risk of spreading of cancerous cells to other breast’s tissues.
2. Sentinel lymph node biopsy
In the cases where there are increased risk of spreading the cancer to the lymph nodes first, doctors recommend to get the lymph nodes removed. Removing one or more lymph nodes decreases the chances of side effects of the surgery.
3. Radiation therapy
Treatment for breast cancer sometimes include radiation with other procedure. Sometimes, surgeons recommend to go for a radiation therapy after specific surgery or due to age or depending upon the how much the cancer has spread. Patient may be asked to go for one radiation or combination of radiations at the best hospital for breast cancer.
- External beam radiation: In this procedure, a large machine is set to aim the energy beams at body. This is usually used after a lumpectomy.
Side effects: Fatigue, sunburn like marks on the part from where radiations were passed, breast swelling.
- Internal beam radiation (Brachytherapy): As the name suggests, this treatment is done putting a radioactive source inside the body for a short duration of time. Brachytherapy can be recommended after lumpectomy if there is a low risk of cancer recurrence.
Side effects: Breast pain, fatigue, redness and bruising at the treatment site, damage to fatty tissue of breast, fluid collecting in breast, infection, weakness or fracture of the ribs in rare cases.
Radiation could also be recommended at the best hospital for breast cancer after breast conserving surgery and mastectomy to lower the chances of recurrence of cancer in the breast or other parts of the body. It might also be used if the cancer has spread to other parts of body like bone or brain.
In this type of the treatment, cancer killing drugs are given to the patients through intravenous or oral procedures. Drugs travel with blood to enter all the parts of the body. Chemo may also be given directly in the spinal fluid which surrounds the spine and brain. Chemotherapy is recommended sometimes before surgery of after in some cases. It can also be used for advanced breast cancer that is, as the main treatment for women whose cancer has spread in underarm area from breast.
Side effects: fatigue, loss of appetite, hair loss, nail changes, weight loss, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, mouth sores.
5. Hormone therapy
Some types of breast cancers are affected by hormones in blood. Hormone therapy is a type of systemic therapy which can reach cancer cells present anywhere in the body. Women with hormone receptor-positive (ER-positive or Pr-positive) breast cancers are generally recommended hormone therapy.
6. Targeted therapy
With growing development in medical science, doctors have found changes in the cancer cells that help them multiply and have found drugs to cease the spread or growth. These drugs are different from the drugs used in chemo. Targeted drugs block the block the growth of the cancer cells and stops them from spreading. Different types of drugs are used for different cases. Each type of drug has its own side effect. All of them are listed below.
Side effects: severe fatigue, shortness of breath, leg swelling, diarrhea, hand and foot syndrome, heart damage, congestive heart failure.
To get the right type of treatment after diagnosis, you need the best hospital for breast cancer. And, we at MedMonks help you with that decision by providing you the list of the best doctors and best hospital for breast cancer in India.
Cost of breast cancer treatment in India is 80 percent less as compared to the charges in the US and UK hospitals. The best hospital for breast cancer in India offers various procedures of breast cancer treatment at a low price even to the international patients. Best hospital for breast cancer can charge you USD 2,900 for a surgery. PET Scan starts at just USD 500, while Chemotherapy for breast cancer starts at USD 1500. The best hospital for breast cancer in the US, on the other hand charges in the range of USD 20,000 to 30,000 for breast cancer surgeries.
There are several multi-speciality hospitals all over the country that provide excellent treatment for breast cancer in India. The best hospital for breast cancer have state-of-the-art infrastructure, dedicated staff and follow the international guideline for medical care and hygiene. Things you need to know about the hospital before choosing the hospital should include the charges for procedures and treatments, quality of services, equipments and medical standards.
Best hospital for breast cancer treatment in India have team of experienced doctors, nurses and other well trained medical staff who are always available to help the patient and their families to make their hospital stay comfortable. Below are some of the best hospital for breast cancer treatment in India.
- Fortis Hospital
- Artemis Hospital
- Nanavati Hospital
- Manipal Hospital
- Yashoda Cancer Institute
- Max Healthcare
- Medanta Hospital
top Breast Cancer Specialist in India
Dr Sudipto Pakrasi
A renowned ophthalmologist, with a career spanning three decades, Dr Sudipto Prakasi currently leads the Opthalmology division at Medanta – Medicity, Gurgaon as the Chairman. Dr Prakasi complView Details