- IVF Infertility Treatment in India
- Eye Surgery in India
- Cosmetic Surgery India
- Knee Replacement in India
- Heart Surgery India
- Kidney Transplant in India
- Liver Transplant in India
- Prostate Cancer Treatment in India
- Spine Surgery in India
- Neurosurgery in India
- Brain Tumor Treatment in India
- Cochlear Implant Surgery in India
- Weight Loss Surgery in India
- Hip Replacement Surgery in India
- Orthopedic Surgery in India
- Bone Marrow Transplant in India
- Blood Cancer Treatment in India
- Gastric bypass Surgery in India
- Stomach Cancer Treatment in India
- Liver Cancer Treatment in India
- Colon Cancer Treatment in India
- Breast Cancer Treatment in India
- Lung Cancer Treatment in India
Brain Tumor Treatment in India
When there is formation of mass of the tissue, made from the unwanted growth of cells in the brain, it is called brain tumor. Tumor can be malignant or benign type in nature. Malignant is cancerous and has the tendency to spread at a rapid speed.
If brain tumor is detected, immediate treatment of the same is recommended to avoid any life threatening complications at later stages. Treatment of tumor depends upon the type of tumor found in the brain. Brain tumor treatment in India can be availed at relatively lower budgets, compared to other parts in the world, that too without compromising on the quality of treatments.
A tumor is an abnormal growth or accumulation of the cells in brain. There is a fixed cycle for the cells regeneration in brain. In this cycle, the old cells die while the new cells are formed. Something precludes this cycle and there an unnecessary growth of cells in the brain and they continue to grow and form a mass tissue.
Primary brain cells can also give rise to brain cancer from the cells that form the other brain components like vessels and membranes. Brain tumor can cause damage by increasing pressure by pushing the brain against the skull or by destroying the nearby healthy brain tissues and nerves.
There are various types of brain cancers which need different types of treatments. The tumor treatment is generally very expensive around the world. Brain tumor treatment in India comes at a lower price than the prices in other countries.
Types of brain tumor
- Astrocytomas: These tumors take place in the cerebrum which is the largest part of brain. Astrocytomas causes seizures or behavioural changes.
- Meningiomas: They arise in the lining of the brain known as meninges. People above 70s can get meningiomas. These tumors are usually benign.
- Oligodendrogliomas: Cells covering the nerves are affected by this type of tumor. They grow slow and do not have the tendency to spread in the nearby tissues.
If the patient has the capacity to bear it, surgery is always the first option given to them. A brain tumor can be removed as much as possible through the surgery if it is located in the area that makes it possible for an operation. Brain tumor treatment in India includes following types of surgeries:
- Biopsy: Surgeons can take a small portion of the tumor and then do a biopsy on it to identify the type of tumor to perform the non-surgical procedures later. Thus, when you are removing a portion of the brain tumor it subsequently may help reduce other signs and symptoms. A hollow needle can also be used to do the stereotactic biopsy, in which the needle is inserted in the skull to remove some portion of the tumor.
- Craniotomy: In craniotomy, a part of the skull is removed to remove the tumor from the brain. After removing the tumor, patient’s own bone is used to close the opening in the skull. Some tumor in the brain are approached from nose or the top of the neck. Surgeons can opt for mapping to understand the anatomy of the patient’s brain and to use it while removing the tumor.
- Shunt: A shunt is a narrow piece of tube called catheter that is inserted into the ventricle of the brain to release the excess pressure in the skull. Sometimes, patients with brain tumor develop intracranial pressure and to remove that catheter is used. One side of the catheter is drilled in the skull while the other side of it is threaded through the skin and pulled out of the body cavity either from the atrium of the heart or the abdominal cavity. Out of all the procedures, a shunt is a minor one for brain tumor treatment.
2. Radiation therapy: Radiation therapy kills tumor cells, which uses high-energy beams, such as x-rays or protons. It is usually given after the surgery or with chemotherapy to kill the remaining cancer cells in the brain. External beam radiation therapy is used to target the cancer cells from outside of the body with the highly activated rays.
Other type of radiation therapy is brachytherapy that is given using implants in the body and is also known as internal radiation therapy.
Common side effects include fatigue, headaches and scalp irritation.
Chemotherapy kills or slows down tumor cells through the usage of drugs. Chemotherapy drugs can be taken orally in the form of pills or injected into the vein. Chemotherapy is recommended usually after the brain tumor surgery or with radiation therapy. Some patients receive one drug at a time or some receive a combination of drugs at one time. The chemotherapy procedure is cyclic in nature.
Patients are monitored with regular MRI to while there is an active treatment going on. This is done to keep a check in the brain and see if the tumor has grown back. If the tumor grows back during the treatment, other procedures are applied to treat the tumor or the same procedure continues if no tumor is found.
Common side effects include nausea, vomiting and hair loss.
4. Targeted Therapy:
Targeted therapy involves targeting the specific genes and proteins of the tissue that helps metatise the tumor. This therapy is used to save the healthy cells from the malignant cells by destroying them.
Anti-angiogenesis therapy: In case of brain tumor, this therapy is used to stop the process of making new blood vessels in the brain. Tumor feed on the nutrients supplied by the blood vessels.
5. Alternating electric field therapy:
An electrode is placed on the outside of the person’s brain to produce an electric field that will intervene in the cells which are responsible for the growth and spread of the tumor cells. A non invasive portable device called Optune is used presently.
Angiography is performed to check the arteries that are supplying blood to the tumors. Once the arteries are found, the blood supply is blocked with a plug so the tumor can die due to the scarcity of blood. Endovascular approach or direct percutaneous injection will be used to perform the procedure in one session.
Brain tumor treatment in India is listed among the best treatments in the world with standard quality of services being provided at the hospitals. The surgeons will recommend the best procedure depending upon the stage of the tumor.
Although there are several symptoms listed below but in some cases patients might not face any of the changes even after having brain cancer. Patients may have general or specific symptoms during brain tumor.
Common symptoms include the following
Headache: Pain in head can start early in the morning and may occur or worsen during the day or while doing any activity.
Seizures: Sudden involuntary movements in person’s body is called seizures. Different people have different types of seizures like, myoclonic which means single or multiple muscle jerks or spasms; tonic-clonic involves loss of consciousness and body tone followed by body contractions.
Sensory change: Change in sensation, vision, smell or hearing
Personal changes: nausea, vomiting, fatigue, drowsiness, memory problems, problem in walking.
Risk factor doesn’t guarantee brain tumor. These are just the risk factor that increases a person’s chance of developing brain cancer. In many cases people at high risks never develop any tumor and in some, people with no factors or signs develop brain cancer. Doctors recommend to visit the hospital immediately after seeing any risk factors or change in lifestyle to avoid severe effects.
Age: Brain tumors are more common in children and older people but people of any age may develop tumors.
Gender: There are some cancers that are gender-specific, such as, meningioma are more common among women.
Inheritance: If there was a family history of brain tumors then it increases the chances of developing a tumor. 5 percent of brain tumor cases are due to hereditary genes.
Exposure: High exposure to viruses, allergens or infections or to pesticides, oil products, rubber etc may increase the risk.
Diagnosis for brain tumor in India includes the following test. All the test are done at the highly advanced diagnostic centres and hospitals in India under the medical experts.
Positron emission tomography
Molecular testing of tumor
Neurological, vision, and hearing tests
Post Operative care:
Once the brain tumor treatment in India is done, there are a lot of other things that the patient needs to take care of to recover well from the surgery.
No alcohol consumption
No playing of sports for at least one year
Flight travel to be avoided
Ask doctors before resuming job
Avoid hair dyes
Avoid washing hair or scalp for two weeks post surgery
Bandages on the wounds must be changed regularly
Patients needs to go to the hospital at regular intervals after the brain tumor treatment in India. First of all, follow up is important as there are chances of the regrowth of the cancer cells due to the possible undetectable residuals of the tumor in the brain. Depending upon the brain cancer stage, follow up schedule can be different for individuals. MRIs, blood tests and different imaging tests are recommended from time to time to check for symptoms of recurrence of the tumor.
Why go for brain tumor treatment in India?
Due to the developments in the medical and technological fields in India, it is very well known for brain tumor treatment among other developed countries. People from other countries come for brain tumor treatment in India due to the state of art equipments, surgeons at affordable prices.
Hospitals in India are well equipped with all the modern treatments to heal the patients from people around the globe. All the metro cities have multi speciality hospitals with a team of experts for brain tumor treatment in India.
People from USA, UK, Australia, Zealand, Afghanistan, Kenya, Canada, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Uzbekistan and other countries come for brain tumor treatment in India. Today, India has all the latest facilities with neurodiagnostic centre for advanced MRI, CT scans, EEG, EMG among other high class imaging machines.
Craniotomy in India is around Rs. 5,70,000 (USD 9000) while US hospital charges Rs. 38,00,000 for the same surgery. Micro-surgery is done at the rate of Rs. 7,66,000 (USD 12,000) in India and if you do the same treatment in USA you will have to shell out Rs. 46,00,000 (USD 72,000). Brain tumor treatment in India can be received at 60-70 percent lower charges as compared to other countries.
Brain tumor is a dreaded disease and the right kind of treatment is crucial in that case. The best medical team is required to deal with the disease. You can get brain tumor treatment in India at hospitals like Wockhardt, Fortis, Manipal, Max healthcare which are listed among the few other best hospitals.
Why choose Medmonks for brain tumor treatment in India?
At Medmonks, you will get complete support from the moment you decide for brain tumor treatment in India. We will help you in planning for your travel, stay, finding the right doctors, hospital and treatment procedures for your stage and other following procedures. Prominent cancer and neurosurgeons are available for brain tumor treatment in India at all the hospitals listed with us. Our professionally trained team will be there with you throughout your time in India during the treatment as well as during the follow up.
top Brain Tumor Surgeons in India
Dr. Vineesh Mathur
Dr. Vineesh Mathur is the director of the spine unit of Medanta Hospital, Gurgaon. He has over 29 years of experience in the field and is a specialised Orthopedist. He coView Details