As with most medical procedures, there are potential risks. More severe symptoms, typically from OHSS, include the following:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Decreased urinary frequency
- Shortness of breath
- Severe stomach pains and bloating
- Ten-pound weight gain within three to five days
Additional risks of IVF include the following:
Get a free Quote
- Egg retrieval carries risks of bleeding, infection, and damage to the bowel or bladder.
- The chance of a multiples pregnancy is increased with the use of fertility treatment. There are additional risks and concerns related to multiples during pregnancy including the increased risk of premature delivery and low birth weight.
- Though the rates of miscarriage are similar to unassisted conception, the risk does increase with maternal age.
- Assisted reproductive technology (ART) involves a significant physical, financial, and emotional commitment on the part of a couple. Psychological stress and emotional problems are common, especially if in vitro fertilization (IVF) is unsuccessful.