In most cases, body weight could be brought under control through a combination of healthy dieting and physical exercises. However, for some people, this is not a possibility due to various factors like genetics or dome other medical problem that inhibits weight loss. In such a scenario, a weight loss specialist in India prescribes weight loss surgery also known as bariatric surgery for the patient. Many research studies have recently reported decrease in mortality and also an improvement in medical conditions after bariatric surgery
A weight loss specialist suggest for a weight loss surgery in the case of:
- BMI> 30
- Gynaecological disorders
- Hypertension and excessive mental stress
- Reduced physical stamina and endurance
- Acute Sleep disorders
Obesity can manifest itself in many forms including minor heart-attacks. So, a person must first consult a Bariatric Surgeon and know about various available options and then take an informed decision.
There are many types of Bariatric surgeries depending upon the two mechanisms of either restriction i.e. reduced capacity to eat at one particular point of time or malabsorption. Your weight loss specialist combine one or both of these mechanisms in a variable manner to achieve desired results.
Various types of bariatric surgeries include:
1. Gastric Banding – Gastric banding is considered to be the safest weight loss surgery that brings down weight using an adjustable silicone band. The Best Bariatric surgeons use laparoscopy to insert the band around the upper part of the stomach, which lets stomach to hold only a little food. Adjustable gastric banding can result in nearly 40 per cent weight shedding post-surgery. However, the results differ with the patient.
One should always consult their weight loss specialist about the precautions that need to be taken post-surgery and the follow-up that is required. In case if gastric banding, special dietary advice like mandatory intake of protein with a multivitamin & mineral is always given.
2. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy – Sleeve Gastrectomy is one of the most commonly used surgical procedures by weight loss specialist. Through this surgery, nearly 85 per cent of the stomach is surgically removed. The tummy is then reshaped into a sleeve-like structure. The gastrointestinal tract otherwise remains intact. This surgery reduces hunger by lowering down the secretion of hunger-stimulating hormones.
3. Gastric bypass surgery – Another popular bariatric technique is gastric bypass surgery that involves the creation of a thumb-sized pouch from the upper stomach, accompanied by a bypass of the remaining stomach. The lower part does not receive any food but continues to secrete the digestive juices. Since the food now bypasses a section of the small intestine, fewer calories are now absorbed. This is considered a safe procedure by weight loss specialist as by avoiding the intestinal bypass, the chance of intestinal blockage, anaemia, osteoporosis, protein deficiency and vitamin deficiency are significantly reduced.
4. Biliopancreatic diversion – This surgery, also known as the Scopinaro procedure induce weight loss by altering the digestive system. Part of the stomach is resected, creating a smaller stomach. This gives the body lesser time to absorb fats and calories resulting in weight loss.
This is quite a complex surgery with longer recovery time. Your weight loss specialist can brief you about all the risks and complications involved in this surgery. But despite this, Biliopancreatic Diversion is considered super-helpful for clinical or morbid obesity where other standard weight loss options don’t work.
5. Duodenal switch surgery – This procedure is a modification of biliopancreatic diversion comprising of a malabsorptive and restrictive component.
Get a free Quote